CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Square Foot Gardening





Devin and I have been busy getting ready to garden.  I am so excited because we now have a garden full of beautiful beds Devin designed and made!  We are filling them with a great garden soil mix that is so wonderful to work with.  We bought the "All New Square Foot Gardening" book and just love it.  Devin is actually excited to help me garden.  The idea of square foot gardening is so neat because you can grow more in less space and less work.  I love how much little I weed and it's because I don't water the whole garden.  You only water what you plant.  So far we have planted onions, raspberry starts, concord grapes, and an apricot tree.  The weather has been absolutely gorgeous the last few days so I've been taking advantage of it and spending some time outside gardening.  The best was that last night we ate our first pick of asparagus.   Yum!  I love asparagus.  We like to saute it in olive oil with garlic.  I have some pictures to show you the bed that Devin build for me.  The metal is trellis' for pole beans, and our squash.  The beds are made from cherry rounds.  The joints are lap joints to make them stronger with a 3 foot rebar driven down into the ground to keep them in place.  I love the wood chips around all the beds so I don't get muddy when I garden.  Our soil is so clay and it really sticks to you when wet. I really have no experience in herbs.  Anyone have any suggestions of easy herbs to grow to start out with?  

5 comments:

Sandra said...

I've tried herbs once but they didn't do much so I haven't done it again. Your garden looks great! I've heard so much about squre foot gardening.

The Mrs said...

When we lived in SLC, we had an enrichment on growing herbs in a pot. We actually planted them that night. I don't remember all that I planted but I think it was like oregano, basil, things that I thought I would use for spaghetti sauce. It grew really well but unfortunately I never used it and then we moved to DC and I didn't take it with me.
We have a box garden too! It was way too easy to take care of last year!

Kim L. said...

I saw your post on the square foot garden website, and popped over to steal some gardening ideas. Your garden ROCKS! I am totally trying not to covet.
Anyways, I have been reading your blog for like 30 minutes. I SWEAR you must be my twin separated at birth. I LOVE your parenting blog, too. It is rare to find moms who "GET IT"....the depth of their responsibility etc. Anyways, pop over to my blog someday. Loudonmadnessandmayhem.blogspot.com

Shanell said...

For me it depends on what I cook with. I loved (back in the days of home ownership) to send the kids out to the garden for some fresh green onions, dill, basil, mint, oregano, rosemary, or tomatoes for dinner. They taste so different home grown, I miss my garden like crazy right about now. We'll be over later to enjoy yours. =)

overlyactive said...

Your welcome to visit anytime Shanell! We love to share veggies, especially zucchini (Devin drops them on porches and runs. j/k)