CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I got to vent!

Fisher-Price Classic Xylophone
This toy claims that it encourages early music-making and it even has a song on the back of the box for the child to try out.  The musical "scale" is C major.  The problem it's way out of tune!  So bad that the G is really a F#.  Even Traeden can tell the scale is off.  Here is what the scale sounds like C, D, E, F, F#, A, B, C We bought two because Devin loved his xylophone as a kid.  Well both have the F# issue and one of the xylophones has  two high C's next to each other.  The second xylophone plays C, D, E, F, F#, A, C (very muted),C. So muted that it doesn't ring at all.  This was very disappointing to me so when I called Fisher Price to explain the issue they laughed at me and said it's just a toy, it not suppose to be musical.  Well I say, I don't want my children learning the sound of a C major scale wrong.  Plus any song they try to make on the toy is going to sound wrong, That is not going to encourage music making or a sense of accomplishment.  Don't buy this toy!

Fisher Price will let me return them both for vouchers to buy other fisher price toys but I have to pay the shipping of course.  All I can say is I'm not pleased with Fisher Price Today!

3 comments:

Dr. Mom said...

Ok - this post made me laugh! I have been on the lookout for a xylophone for over a year (yes - it was a favorite of mine growing up as well) and hoped that I could find one that is CLOSE to being in tune. I experimented with the Fisher Price model at Toys R Us a while back and had the same experience as you - horribly out of tune! If you find one that's decent - let me know.

Sandra said...

Wow...I remember playing with one when I was growing up. I don't think kids listen, they just pound. They have you as a teacher to teach them how things should sound. Bummer that you have to pay for shipping.

Seth said...

That's crazy. Maybe they should have some music people helping out with their wonderful "early music-making" toy they're marketing. I don't know if it's just me, but I feel like toys a long time ago were much better quality then today. Even cheap kites flew better seven years ago then now. Maybe I'm just having bad luck too :(
~Robbin